Your future

Our school History

 

Education in Greytown was started in 1850 and this has been a major concern from that point onwards. The foundation stone of the Umvoti Scholastic Institute was laid in 1855. This school was situated in Cathcart Street and in 1877 it was taken over by the Natal Government. The Natal Year Book of 1864 shows that there were several farm schools in the area. Many families also employed Tutors or Governesses for their children.

 

St Anne's school, a branch of the present private school at Hilton, was opened in 1892 and was very successful. A request for a grant for this school was turned down as the government believed the existing schools were adequate. This school was situated in Scott Street. The Huguenot Seminary for Girls was a private school controlled by the Dutch Reformed Church and this school stood where the present junior School Hostel stands. In 1900 Colonel George Leuchars, Mr Walter Slatter and Archdeacon Pennington opened a Preparatory School for Boys, called St David's. In 1924 Lady Leuchars followed her husband's example and opened the St Agnes' school for girls. This school closed in 1926 and the girls were admitted to St David's. The Dominican Convent opened in 1916 and offered a wide variety of subjects. From 1940 onwards it offered tuition in Commercial Subjects. It finally closed in 1967 and was sold and converted into flats, the present Oak Lodge.

 

Government Education began in 1883 when the first co-educational government school was established as the Government Primary School. The log-book of 1890 indicated Std 6 and 7 pupils. In 1910 a new school for boys was founded and the original Huguenot School became the Government School for Girls. The first pupils who wrote the Junior Certificate Examination did so in 1911. In 1923 the junior and Senior schools were separated. They were a block apart in Durban Street. In 1959 it was reported in The Natal Witness that a new High School would be built on land to the left of Muden Road near the outskirts of the town. The school was completed and the learners moved on 27 September 1962.

 

The school was officially opened on 1 June 1963.

 

 


Old ScholarsView details about next Sport FoundationNguni Festival News